Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Not even a murdered child is safe from hate

Today CNN reported that funerals of the victims of the Tuscon shooting were going to be protested by the infamous Westboro Baptist Church of Topeka, Kansas. Specifically the funeral of the 9 year old girl who was killed. (www.cnn.com/2011/US/01/11/arizona.funeral.westboro/index.html?hpt=T1)

Most of you who know me know that I am a die hard liberal beyond left beyond even the democratic party lines, and yes I like Obama and no I've never voted Republican and in my younger days I protested the shit out of everything... except the funeral of a child and for that matter any funeral.

Regardless of our political affiliations or philisophical views on issues when is it ok to pour salt in the wound of a grieving family? Especially one that lost a child?

CNN also reported that the "angels" that sheilded the family at the Matthew Shepard funeral plan to do the same at this funeral and those of the other Tuscon victims. If you're not familiar with the "angels" check out the movie the "Laramie Project".

If you're a fan of Westboro Church and support their protests please explain to me the purpose of the protests. I know they were present for the Matthew Shepard funeral, but I don't know why. Is it because they believe homosexuallity is wrong? I understand they also protest at the funerals of soldiers and even Coretta Scott King, but again, why?

While I do have strong views about everything I don't care to impose my views on others, instead, if I don't agree with you I do let you know why I disagree, but I would never assume that the other person is so fickle that they would turn and agree with me with just a few words (i.e. that means stop doing it to me). But I do like to understand why people have different views. So I went to the Westboro Baptist Church website to perhaps understand why.

It appears that their website is indeed derogatory with the actual word "hate" as part of the web address. Although I am not naive and know hate exists I was quite disappointed to confirm the reach of that hate and the vigor. It made me sad to know that people hate so intensely, but it made me angry that for all of their views, which our country allows all of us to have, that they would choose to impose them on a family who lost their child.

Their child didn't have cancer, nor was she hit by a car riding her bike. She was killed by a violent act. The Westboro Church would like to capitalize on this act, instead of praying with the family for their loss they would like to exacerbate the violence.

People are blaming political rhetoric and the fact that some can't deal with a black president, fairly elected. Even I put up the Sarah Palin cross hair poster as a form of protest on FB. Whatever you're views on healthcare or the president or abortion or civil rights the fact remails that at the end of the day we live in a country where not even a murdered child is safe from hate.

No comments:

Post a Comment